30 January 2023 – 10 February 2023
The Centre for High Performance Computing (CHPC) and the National Institute for Theoretical and Computational Sciences (NITheCS) are organizing a coding summer school that offers introductions to Foundations of Theoretical and Computational Sciences on topics such as Data Visualization, Data Analysis, Modelling and Simulation, Stochastic Methods, Machine Learning and Software Management.
A basic programming course that introduces participants to Linux (Ubuntu) command line and bash scripting, and the Python programming language will be given as a foundational tool for the school.
Students registered for Honours, Masters and PhD studies as well as postdoc fellows, in South Africa are eligible to apply and the attendance is free of charge. The school will take on a physical form at various university locations around the country, therefore participants will be required to attend one of the university locations.
The University of the Western Cape will provide one of these locations on its campus, and all interested candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Daily lectures and interactive tutorials
- Moodle used as the learning management environment
- PDF notes, exercises, and YouTube videos provided
- Zoom used for live streaming
- Slack used as official communication medium
- Prizes awarded to select students
Requirements and Registration
Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops but where it is not possible, the organizers might assist to access an on-site computer. No programming skills and basic Linux knowledge are required, although that would be an advantage. Applications can be done at this registration link and more information on the can be obtained here.
- Closing date for registration: Saturday, 31 December 2022
- Notification of successful candidates: by 16 January 2023
- School start and orientation: Monday, 30 January 2023
- School end: Friday, 10 February 2023